We are the only Canadian bank devoted exclusively to entrepreneurs.
No other bank is doing what we do.
At BDC, we’re devoted to Canadian entrepreneurs. We’re also dedicated to our employees. Adaptable. Inspiring. Different. There’s a reason we like to work here and we think you’ll like it too.
Position based in Calgary, Alberta
BDC Capital is the investment arm of BDC, Canada’s bank for entrepreneurs. With over $3 billion under management, BDC Capital serves as a strategic partner to the country’s most innovative firms. It offers businesses a full spectrum of capital, from seed investments to growth equity, supporting Canadian entrepreneurs who have the ambition to stand out on the world stage. Visit bdc.ca/capital.
The Director of Growth and Transition Capital (GTC) responsibilities include the following: 1) originate, evaluate and underwrite financing and investment opportunities that are consistent with BDC Capital’s investment criteria; 2) actively monitor, develop and implement portfolio risk management strategies; 3) proactively develop and implement value added plans for their portfolio including but not limited to leveraging external and internal resources to support portfolio clients to achieve their goals.
CHALLENGES TO BE MET
Quality and pace of Investment:
- Well-articulated financing and investment proposals;
- Source, structure, and recommend mezzanine debt and equity investments by formulating a proposal, confirming the opportunity through due diligence and managing the financing after closing until exit.
Provide post-closing value-add and throughout the life of the investment:
- Pro-actively develop, implement and monitor value-adding proposals/recommendations and business introductions to Investee companies’ management and the entrepreneurs.
Robust monitoring and portfolio risk management:
- Timely and thorough updating of quarterly/annual reporting on portfolio companies;
- Properly tracking identified portfolio companies’ milestones and post-closing plan achievement;
- Well-timed and articulated portfolio administration (amendments, repayments, annual reviews, risk evaluation).
Actively engage and collaborate with key stakeholders within the business community:
- Internal: build collaborative relationships within BDC to better serve clients with a BDC wide approach;
- External: build relationships with entrepreneurs, associations, influencers, banks and co-investors to raise public awareness through proactive marketing and promotion of BDC and BDC Capitals offerings.
Be accountable for individual planning process by creating and implementing:
- High level marketing and visibility plan;
- Personal development plan identifying and addressing areas of professional development.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, MBA or professional designation (CPA,CBV and/or CFA) an asset;
- 8+ years of progressive experience in equity, mezzanine, or senior debt financing with responsibilities for new transaction origination, client management and portfolio management;
- Demonstrated knowledge of leveraged finance transactions such as: cash flow lending, senior and junior debt structures and applicable underwriting and due diligence skills;
- Professional experience in private equity, mid-market corporate finance, corporate development, corporate lending and alternative lending would be considered an asset;
- Team player, positive contributor to a peer-based approach in deal review and portfolio management;
- Enjoy a fast-paced environment and variety of work;
- Comfortable operating with a high degree of ambiguity and autonomy;
- Entrepreneurial spirit and passion to help mid-market companies succeed;
- Proven business development skills and results;
- Demonstrated negotiating and deal making skills;
- Robust financial analysis, risk assessment and financial modeling and forecasting abilities;
- High attention to detail and accuracy;
- Strong ability to collaborate, influence and build trust with internal groups within BDC, clients and other stakeholders;
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
At BDC, we value diversity in our workforce and encourage all qualified candidates to apply. We appreciate all responses and advise that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Posted Jan 07, 2021