Type Full Time
Location Montreal, Canada
Company Teralys Capital - Venture capital-focused fund of funds
Teralys Capital is the largest fund-of-funds dedicated to venture and innovation in Canada with more than $2B in assets under management, and invests primarily in information technology and life sciences. Co-founded by Jacques Bernier, a serial entrepreneur and investor who helped shape the Canadian technology innovation ecosystem, and Éric Legault, who previously led the venture capital program at Caisse de Dépôt et Placement du Québec, Teralys has an entrepreneurial culture and a mission to back the best VC firms and ultimately propel entrepreneurs to successfully innovate, grow and bring game changing ideas to the world.
The Firm is based in Montréal and invests in venture and growth equity funds across Canada, the United States and Europe. Our portfolio is composed of successful Canadian funds such as Novacap, Georgian Partners, Lumira Capital and iNovia Capital as well as US and Europe-based franchises such as Clarus Ventures, Versant Ventures and Sofinnova Partners.
Teralys also has a direct investing practice, focused on growth-stage technology investments. Some of our direct investments include Luxury Retreats (acquired by Airbnb), Lightspeed POS (TSX: LPSD), WorkFusion, Sonder, IEX, Verafin and Zymeworks (NYSE : ZYME).
We are looking to strengthen our investment team with the addition of an Investment Analyst. We are a tight-knit group looking for a self-starter and team player who is passionate about entrepreneurship and the technology ecosystem. The successful candidate will contribute to the following activities:
Analysis of Investment Opportunities (25%):
- Assisting in the selection and review of potential investment opportunities;
- Contributing to due diligence activities, including an in-depth analysis of each underlying portfolio companies, financial performance modeling, legal documentation, and assisting in negotiations and discussions with other investors.
Portfolio Monitoring (40%):
- Monitor key performance drivers and proactively identify potential difficulties or non-compliance issues with portfolio funds or fund managers;
- Review underlying portfolio companies to assess their progress, return potential and valuation, including in-depth review of key business and financial activities.
Portfolio Reporting (35%):
- Tracking and summarizing key venture capital market activities and drivers;
- Participation in quarterly reporting activities (reports on dealflow, funds and fund managers, key underlying portfolio companies, and other key developments).
What you bring to the table:
- Fully bilingual in English and French (written and verbal)
- Advanced Excel and Powerpoint skills
- Experience or deep interest in technology investing and venture capital;
- Analytical mindset to review funds’ track records and companies’ financial statements;
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks and perform under limited supervision;
- Strong interpersonal skills to build and manage relationships with fund managers;
- Ability to engage effectively with Teralys’ clients, committees, and broader stakeholder base;
- Undergraduate degree in finance/business with relevant business experience (Master’s degree preferred);
Posted May 30, 2020