At Ontario Teachers, we know that our Talent are our greatest strength – every innovation, every idea and every win has been powered by our people. We offer a work experience that inspires, encourages talent development, celebrates diversity and rewards superior performance. The best and brightest not only come here – they stay. Help us continue to deliver outstanding service and retirement security to our members and be the world’s leading pension plan. Apply today! Your Talent. Your Experience. Our Future.
The Managing Director, Enterprise Strategic Planning, Strategic Procurement & Finance Transformation is responsible for leading the Enterprise Strategic Planning Function for OTPP, including continuously improving the organization-wide methodologies, frameworks, tools and processes to support Teachers’ strategic direction and to ensure integration with business planning functions across the enterprise; as well as establishing and leading the Strategic Procurement function for the enterprise which includes setting standard methodologies, policies and approaches for optimizing >$1bn of external spend for the organization. In addition, the role will be accountable for the Finance Transformation Program Management Office (PMO) that will focus on seven strategic projects that are shaped to lead the Finance team to a stronger strategic position that will drive the organization forward.
Who you'll work with
You will be a trusted advisor to the Chief Financial Officer and Senior Finance Leadership team in supporting the Division to deliver on its Transformation and strategic objectives.
What you'll do
Enterprise strategic planning:
- Lead the overall Strategic Planning Function and related process ensuring alignment across the Strategic Plan, Investment Plan, Workforce Plan and Financial Operating Plan– including overall enterprise project/initiative portfolio, and related prioritization of initiatives.
- Provide experience, knowledge, leadership and critical thinking to drive divisional planning and strategy development
- Perform a key leadership role with planning leads across all Divisions including asset class strategy/planning leads for aligning and integrating Divisional strategies
- Lead strategic planning and discussions across Finance in partnership with the CEO, CFO and other Division leads/teams as appropriate. Be able to influence, implement and drive decisions to ensure goals are achieved
- Tactfully review and challenge data and information across Finance Executive Team (FET) peers and with business partners
- Lead the annual Enterprise-wide objective and target setting process including Enterprise and Divisional Scorecard development and related metrics, and provide monthly Executive Team (ET) and quarterly board updates and overall governance
- Monitor, test, and adapt strategy – integrating with risk and implementing an annual business environment assessment to ensure timely review of strategy
- Provide proactive insights to connect the dots, identify interdependencies, keep strategy top of mind throughout organization
- Provide facilitation services to other Divisions in developing strategy and plans for operationalization of strategies
- Support strategy requirements for the Board as necessary
Enterprise strategy execution and business transformation:
- Key enabler of business transformation and strategy execution, accountability for program management, oversight and reporting
- Structure sophisticated critical initiatives/projects into relevant work-streams
- Enhance overall strategic measurement and monitoring – creating minimum program standards for strategy execution
- Set strategy, overall program structure and governance for the Transformation Delivery Team (TDT), a group of senior leaders charged with executing the Plan’s multi-year strategy
- Facilitate pivotal initiative monitoring and reporting – overseeing achievements delivered, risks, and interdependencies
- Facilitate workshops and large cross department senior meetings, produce material for weekly TDT meetings, ET updates, and Board
- Influence outcomes and deliverables with peers across the TDT and provide updates to ET.
- Implement a structured, strategic procurement function that will help facilitate the efficient and effective procurement of over $1bn in annual spend (including but not limited to: external investment management fees, investment transaction costs, professional services, technology and data services).
- Accountable for the identification and delivery of sustainable cost savings and operational efficiencies across all spend categories and the effective support and management of all external categories of expenditure in collaboration with category / budget owners
- Serve as a strategic thought partner in continuously identifying areas for improvement and recommend pragmatic solutions.
- Provide the vision and frameworks to build on the existing vendor management capabilities, partner optimally with internal business partners to engage external supply markets and suppliers
- Develop internal dashboards, metrics and benchmarks for evaluating continuous improvement
- Build and maintain external relationships with industry peers and others
Finance transformation program management:
- Provide project management oversight and governance to the Finance Transformation Workstreams and ensures projects align to and support the Finance strategy. The workstreams are as follows:
- Enhance forecasting and predictive data and analytics.
- A cross-enterprise initiative to embed cost effectiveness and efficiencies
- Reduce and optimize low-value work
- Implement a new G/L and related foundational tools including data architecture
- Establish a training and development program to embed the 5 critical finance skills for the future
- Define a desired partnership model for Finance and develop a roadmap for the overall Finance transformation projects and associated change management & implementation plans
- Understand the technologies, business issues, and potential opportunities to advance Finance according to the strategic objectives
- Foster collaboration across the FET by partnering individually and collectively on the Finance project workstreams ensuring individual team needs are considered in the broader planning process
- Build a plan to determine the cadence of key discussion topics at the FET meetings and engage the team to ensure the plan drives the necessary agenda appropriately
Trusted Advisor to the CFO and Finance Executive Team
- As a trusted advisor to the CFO, you will lead ‘Chief of Staff’ activities to support CFO including weekly Finance Executive Team meetings, internal communications, change management, townhalls/team events, management and administration of overall department budget, management of Divisional Scorecard and other critical metrics
- Manage direct reports; support day to day performance, provide coaching and support individual development
- Lead and facilitate meetings and initiatives as required; may be composed of cross-functional/divisional members of varying levels within the organization.
- Build strong relationships with team members and demonstrate effective partnership and collaboration throughout the organization
- Exercise appropriate judgment in identifying and raising risks and issues, decide on priorities, work planning and recommendations related to implementing key strategies in consultation with the CFO
- Develop solutions addressing potential issues and opportunities related to central initiatives
- Set and affirm achievement of quality levels of key deliverables related to initiatives, projects and programs the role is accountable for
- Drive/Implement continuous improvements across functional areas that the role oversees
What you'll need
- Undergraduate degree in Finance, Commerce or Economics
- Professional accounting designation
- 15+ years’ experience in financial services sector
- Deep Finance Transformation Experience – leading large scale, sophisticated, multi-year, multi-stakeholder transformation initiatives
- Deep understanding of systems conversion approaches, financial tool deployment, automation tools and techniques.
- Familiarity with strategic procurement principles, practices, approaches and techniques a strong asset
- Experience leading a procurement function and/or oversight over material procurable spend, an asset
- Extensive experience in strategic planning, business planning and/or strategy review process
- Good understanding of general business practices, Pension Administration and industry, Financial services, in particular Investment or Asset Management industry
- Fluent in project management, Program management and Change management methodologies, principles and practices
- Excellent facilitation skills, able to connect with and influence leaders and teams to build out concepts and ideas
- Excellent problem solving, negotiation and conflict resolution, relationship and partner management skills
- Creates ways to generate and develop unique ideas.
- Advanced presentation skills, ability to create visuals to convey broad concepts
What we're offering
- Pay for performance environment that offers competitive salary and incentives
- Numerous opportunities for professional growth and development
- Comprehensive employer paid benefits coverage, including a Health Spending Account
- Guaranteed retirement income through a defined benefit pension plan
- Competitive time off
- Discount programs including Edvantage and Perkopolis
- Degreed: a digital platform that helps you quickly and easily discover, share, and track ALL kinds of learning resources — from courses to videos to articles and more.
At Ontario Teachers', we are a globally minded organization and take pride ensuring that the people we hire and the culture we create reflects and celebrates diversity of thought, background and experience. Through our Inclusion & Diversity Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) events, celebrations , we offer a variety of opportunities for colleagues to connect for the purposes of professional development and networking & mentoring.
If you require an accommodation for the application, recruitment or interview process, please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
How to apply
Are you ready to pursue new challenges and take your career to the next level? Apply today!
You may be invited to complete a pre-recorded digital interview as part of your application. This portion of your application will take approximately 10 minutes to complete.
We thank you for applying, however, only those selected to continue will be contacted. Note that candidates must be legally entitled to work in the country where this role is located.
The privacy of your personal information is important to us. Please visit our Privacy Centre to learn how we handle your personal information.
Posted Dec. 14, 2021