Type Full Time
Company BDC Capital - We are the only Canadian bank devoted exclusively to entrepreneurs. We support small and medium-sized businesses in all industries and at every stage of growth with money and advice. We are the Business Development Bank of Canada. We are BDC.
No other bank is doing what we do.
At BDC, we’re devoted to Canadian entrepreneurs. We’re also dedicated to our employees. Adaptable. Inspiring. Different. There’s a reason we like to work here and we think you’ll like it too.
The Partner - IP Financing is responsible for all aspects of an investment cycle including due diligence, deal making, deal management, investee governance and reporting. He/she works in concert with a variety of BDC colleagues, mainly the GTC, VC and BDC Advisory Services teammates to ensure delivery of the appropriate BDC activities and offerings. He/she will also be called upon to interact with and mentor/coach other members of the team.
CHALLENGES TO BE MET
- Participate in the development of the fund’s business plan detailing strategies, objectives and action plans for IP financing on an annual basis and in a timely fashion.
- Source, structure, and recommend investments by formulating a proposal, confirming opportunity through due diligence and managing the deal closing.
- Review and assess proposals for IP-rich companies seeking BDC’s participation in the form of Subordinate Financing or Equity (or a combination thereof).
- Ensure that advisory services resources are available to help IP rich companies, such as to assist them with commercialization and increasing their revenues.
- Provide robust, ongoing investment monitoring and sound portfolio administration/risk management of accounts to comply with BDC practices.
- Build relationships with entrepreneurs, associations, influencers, banks and co-investors to raise public awareness through proactive marketing and promotion of BDC’s Private/Growth Equity offering as well as of GTC’s and Financing Services’ products.
- Assist the Managing Partner in coaching a team of principals, associates and analysts responsible for deal sourcing, analysis, due diligence, execution, investee governance and reporting, as well as portfolio monitoring and administration.
- Serve as the team’s policy expert on quasi-equity and equity structures to ensure consistency within the portfolio and to maintain best-in-class practices, especially in the area of incorporating intellectual property valuation into enterprise valuation.
- Collaborate with and promote BDC’s other products/services at every available opportunity and maintain a close liaison with all other areas within BDC.
- Build and maintain a strong network and be visibly active within the Canadian IP ecosystem and financing community (i.e., entrepreneurs, associations, influencers, financial institutions/capital providers and others) in order to build awareness and understanding of BDC’s IP financing efforts.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Business Administration or Sciences
- Professional designation (CPA-CA, CPA-CMA, CPA-CGA, CFA or other designation) is an asset
- At least 10 years of experience in equity financings to small and medium-sized knowledge-based companies, preferably in the areas of information and communication technology, health and life sciences and advanced manufacturing/materials
- Prior experience in establishing innovative and leading-edge investment strategies
- Prior experience working in transaction-focused roles in corporate finance, investment banking, corporate development or insurance.
- Extensive experience in business development, ideally in a variety of knowledge-based sectors
- Proven negotiating and deal-structuring/making skills
- Sound investment judgment
- Superior financial modelling and risk assessment skills
- Ability to negotiate legal documents and manage legal counsel to achieve stated goals and objectives.
- Strong interpersonal and verbal and written communication skills
- Scrupulous attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong ability to collaborate, influence and build trust with GTC team, other internal groups within BDC, clients and other stakeholders
- Initiative in looking for opportunities to increase the success of the IP Financing mandate by proposing and implementing ideas and solutions
- Bilingualism is an asset
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
At BDC, we value diversity in our workforce and encourage all qualified candidates to apply. We appreciate all responses and advise that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Posted Jul 27, 2020