At Ontario Teachers, we know that our Talent are our greatest strength – every innovation, every idea and every win has been powered by our people. We offer a work experience that inspires, encourages talent development, celebrates diversity and rewards superior performance. The best and brightest not only come here – they stay. Help us continue to deliver outstanding service and retirement security to our members and be the world’s leading pension plan. Apply today! Your Talent. Your Experience. Our Future.
Our team is growing! We are seeking a highly motivated deal team member who enjoys a fast-paced environment and can prioritize multiple projects and wants to develop new skills and support junior team members. It requires a strong understanding of investment valuation, excellent critical thinking skills and an ability to draw conclusions following in-depth analysis. You will join ready to demonstrate your strong interpersonal, communication and presentation skills to articulate ideas, issues and recommendations internally, as well as with external parties such as investment partners, senior executives of companies, investment bankers, lawyers, and advisors. Further, the role will include material asset management responsibilities, requiring frequent engagement with senior management and external board members of the current portfolio companies.
Who you’ll work with
Based in Toronto, the Natural Resources "NR" team is a part of the larger INR department. NR is a specialized private equity group with C$9 billion of assets as of December 31, 2021. This team owns and manages investments in the energy, timberland, agriculture and mining sectors, located in North America, Latin America, Australia and New Zealand. The NR portfolio contributes real returns, income, inflation protection and portfolio diversification to the overall investment portfolio of Ontario Teachers’. In addition to investments, they actively aim to reduce its portfolio carbon emissions, in line with the Fund’s net-zero interim targets and overall climate ambition.
What you'll do
You will work as a team member in the evaluation and execution of transactions, as well as the management of existing portfolio investments in the energy and mining sectors.
As a member of a transaction execution team, you will:
- Partner with internal deal teams and external advisors to conduct due diligence on investment opportunities;
- Manage or support various workstreams including technical, commercial, financial, tax, legal, ESG, etc.
- Oversee the development of sophisticated financial models to analyze investment opportunities;
- Oversee valuation analysis including identifying key value drivers and financial risks;
- Conduct industry analysis including researching emerging investment opportunities
- Support the team in business development and building relationships with industry participants
- Manage the drafting of presentations, reports and investment recommendations to senior management
In managing existing portfolio investments, you will:
- Work closely with portfolio company management and the board of directors to shape strategy and implement value-enhancing initiatives, including capital projects, refinancing’s and bolt-on acquisitions
- Review and analyze board materials, business plans, and other information prepared by management of our portfolio companies;
- Direct the development and maintenance of financial models for our existing investments, and
- Prepare internal annual valuations in coordination with internal legal, taxation and finance functions
What you’ll need
- 5 plus years of work experience, preferably in principal investing, investment banking or in a corporate development group of a corporate active in a relevant industry;
- Undergraduate Degree required. CFA designation a plus.
- Direct experience with Natural Resource linked industries (e.g. energy, metals & mining, agriculture and timberland) and a clear understanding of commodity fundamentals;
- Experience leading material aspects of the investment process, including financial modelling, conducting due diligence and participating financing;
- Proven history of working collaboratively as part of a team to meet tight timelines within a project based work environment;
- Strong interpersonal skills, communication and presentation skills and proficiency in written and verbal English;
- Excellent analytical and quantitative skills and ability to perform in-depth, innovative, critical analysis, and
- A willingness and ability to travel frequently.
What we're offering
- Pay for performance environment that offers competitive salary and incentive
- Numerous opportunities for professional growth and development
- Comprehensive employer paid benefits coverage
- Retirement income through a defined benefit pension plan
- A flexible/hybrid work environment combining in office collaboration and remote working
- Competitive time off
- Discount programs including Edvantage and Perkopolis
- Degreed: a digital platform that helps you quickly and easily discover, share, and track various learning resources — from courses to videos to articles and more.
- At Ontario Teachers', diversity is one of our core strengths. We are a globally minded organization and take pride ensuring that the people we hire and the culture we create reflect and celebrate diversity of thought, background and experience. Through our Inclusion & Diversity Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) events, celebrations , we offer a variety of opportunities for colleagues to connect for the purposes of professional development and networking & mentoring.
How to apply
Are you ready to pursue new challenges and take your career to the next level? Apply today!
Accommodations are available upon request (firstname.lastname@example.org) for candidates with a disability taking part in the recruitment process and once hired.
Note that all individuals employed by Ontario Teachers’ in our Toronto office will be required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. We remain committed to an accessible, inclusive and barrier free workplace; written requests for a human rights-based exemption from vaccination will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
You may be invited to complete a pre-recorded interview as part of the recruitment process. This will take no longer than 10 minutes.
We thank you for applying, however, only those selected for a personal interview will be contacted. Note that candidates must be legally entitled to work in the country where this role is located.
Functional Area: Investments
Requisition ID: 4303
The privacy of your personal information is important to us. Please visit our Privacy Centre to learn how we handle your personal information.
Posted May 02, 2022