At Ontario Teachers, we know that our Talent are our greatest strength – every innovation, every idea and every win has been powered by our people. We offer a work experience that inspires, encourages talent development, celebrates diversity and rewards superior performance. The best and brightest not only come here – they stay. Help us continue to deliver outstanding service and retirement security to our members and be the world’s leading pension plan. Apply today! Your Talent. Your Experience. Our Future.
The Principal will be working with investment professionals with deep sector and regional expertise and will play a key role in managing processes in making and managing direct investments in Diversified Industrials and Business Services ‘DIBS’.
Who you'll work with
Reporting to the Director, the Principal will lead areas of diligence and junior members of deal teams comprising analysts and associates. The principal may lead, with supervision, financings, financial, tax and insurance due diligence, supported by senior members of the deal team and by third party consultants, operating executives, legal and accounting professionals dedicated to each particular investment.
Diversified Industrials & Business Services - Targets investments in industrials and business services companies with strong end-market fundamentals, ideally with both organic and acquisition growth opportunities. Diversified Industrials has a particular focus on packaging, capital goods, automation, and building products. Business Services has a particular focus on route-based services, environmental services, facility services and other B2B services.
The Equities department is comprised of: Private Capital Industry Groups, the Global Funds Team, the High Conviction Equities Team and the Portfolio Management Team. The department's mission is to deliver growth through investments in both private and publicly traded entities.
In certain instances, the Principal may also work with colleagues in the London or Hong Kong offices in evaluating international investment opportunities in a given sector.
What you'll do
- The Principal will play a mid-level position in the analysis of investments as well as working with portfolio companies. The Principal will develop skills to lead investment processes that include financial, legal, tax, insurance, and business diligence. They will also directly lead all aspects of and participate in crafting sophisticated financial models, arranging debt financing, negotiating legal documents and preparing written recommendations.
- Once a transaction has been completed, the Principal will often remain involved with the business. Although typically they won’t serve on the board of directors there may be an opportunity to do so during their tenure as a Principal. The Principal will handle analyst and associates in supporting senior team members with portfolio companies. Both directly with management and through senior team members they will work on various initiatives as required, including with respect to strategy, value creation projects, mergers and acquisitions, debt refinancings, and strategic projects.
- Mid-level position in Equities, reporting into senior professionals and mentor / leading analysts and associates.
- Begin to develop networks with operating executives, CEOs, consulting firms, investment banks, and private equity firms
- Work in a highly collaborative manner, bringing a sophisticated network of team members along (more senior (MDs, Directors and Sr Principals) and more junior deal team members, PMT, global team members, portfolio companies, etc.).
- Work on independently leading diligence streams, with high communication from Sr. Principal and Directors/MD.
- Provide well-adapted thinking, good judgment and courage of conviction, with a willingness to take a balanced risk. This will also entail stepping in and intervening directly and optimally when required.
What you'll need
- 6+ years meaningful work experience, including recent private equity experience preferred. Active M&A in a senior role in corporate development would also be considered.
- Strong academic background, with a financial designation (i.e. MBA, CFA CBV or CA designation a plus)
- Very strong analytical and quantitative skills to perform in-depth, innovative, critical analysis
- Experience in private equity or corporate development at junior level
- Prefer prior experience at Investment Banking or related fields
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build constructive relationships with internal and external parties
- Good communications skills, both oral and written
- An ability to balance priorities, work independently, lead projects and thrive in a high-performance team environment
- A deep understanding of fundamental investment analysis
- Strong financial modelling knowledge and experience
What we're offering
- Pay for performance environment that offers competitive salary and incentives
- Numerous opportunities for professional growth and development
- Comprehensive employer paid benefits coverage, including a Health Spending Account
- Guaranteed retirement income through a defined benefit pension plan
- Competitive time off
- Discount programs including Edvantage and Perkopolis
- Degreed: a digital platform that helps you quickly and easily discover, share, and track ALL kinds of learning resources — from courses to videos to articles and more.
At Ontario Teachers', diversity is one of our core strengths. We are a globally minded organization and take pride ensuring that the people we hire and the culture we create reflect and celebrate diversity of thought, background and experience.
Accommodations are available upon request for individuals with a disability taking part in the recruitment process and once hired.
How to apply
Are you ready to pursue new challenges and take your career to the next level? Apply today!
You may be invited to complete a pre-recorded interview as part of the recruitment process. This will take no longer than 10 minutes.
We thank you for applying, however, only those selected to continue will be contacted. Note that candidates must be legally entitled to work in the country where this role is located.
Functional Area: Investments
Requisition ID: 3985
The privacy of your personal information is important to us. Please visit our Privacy Centre to learn how we handle your personal information.
Posted Jan. 10, 2022