At Ontario Teachers, we know that our Talent are our greatest strength – every innovation, every idea and every win has been powered by our people. We offer a work experience that inspires, encourages talent development, celebrates diversity and rewards superior performance. The best and brightest not only come here – they stay. Help us continue to deliver outstanding service and retirement security to our members and be the world’s leading pension plan. Apply today! YOUR TALENT. YOUR EXPERIENCE. OUR FUTURE. www.otpp.com/careers
As the Senior Manager Data Governance, you will play a central role to enable OTPP to acquire maximum utility from its data assets. You will serve as a data governance authority and enabler of data literacy for Business and Enterprise Operations teams.
Who you'll work with
You will work across the organization to disseminate education around data governance strategies, ensure teamwork around data assets and coordinate the effective cataloguing of information and assets stored throughout the organization.
What you'll do
Data Enablement and Literacy
- Develop a data literacy / data enablement strategy to connect users with the network of data authorities within the organization, with a long-term objective of crafting a culture where information is readily available and easily shared.
- Design and implement sustainable standards and processes for business glossary / data catalogue maintenance to keep information up to date and easy to understand.
- Work with business teams and supporting technology team to tailor data dictionary and business glossary content according to various needs e.g. new hires, interns, sophisticated data, users and analysts.
- Within a matrix organization, influence and guide appropriate individuals to take accountability for data governance, policies and services.
- Lead organizational consistency to processes to achieve effectiveness of data governance
- Accountable for making decisions regarding the ongoing aspects of vendor relationships for any software tools acquired
- Ensure that OTPP’s data lifecycle is effective and that continuous improvement activities are undertaken.
- Ensure that data governance within OTPP is delivering value to the business and is fit-for-purpose in handling associated risks.
- Establish and run appropriate support services and day to day oversight for data service inquiries.
What you'll need
- University degree, Computer Science, BA, BSc, Business, or Economics or equivalent experience.
- Canadian Securities Course or equivalent experience is desirable
- Deep knowledge and experience with data catalogue vendor tools and the management of data dictionaries, data ownership, collaborators, policies and reporting
- Operational familiarity in the use of meta-data management, data quality, and data stewardship tools and platforms
- Experience in developing and operationalizing data guidelines, policies, procedures, and standards
- Good knowledge of information technology processes in the areas of application management, process management and operational metrics.
- Good understanding of project management tools and approaches.
- Minimum of 5 years of financial services/investment industry systems and processes is desirable
- A minimum of 3 years relevant work experience in data quality management, governance design and implementation, with significant influence on overall direction of data governance management.
- Demonstrated success in leading projects, supervising teams, budgets, and achieving desired business outcomes.
- Hands-on operational management, client service management and organizational change.
- Ability to analyze complex situations and to derive workable actions
- Experience with process design and process improvement approaches e.g. LEAN, Six Sigma is desirable
- Excellent communicator both verbal and written communication and capability demonstrated at technical and business levels.
- Excellent critical thinking, problem-solving, planning and organizational skills
What we're offering
- Pay for performance environment that offers competitive salary and incentive
- Numerous opportunities for professional growth and development
- Comprehensive employer paid benefits coverage
- Retirement income through a defined benefit pension plan
- A flexible/hybrid work environment combining in office collaboration and remote working
- Competitive time off
- Discount programs including Edvantage and Perkopolis
- Degreed: a digital platform that helps you quickly and easily discover, share, and track various learning resources — from courses to videos to articles and more.
At Ontario Teachers', diversity is one of our core strengths. We are a globally minded organization and take pride ensuring that the people we hire and the culture we create reflect and celebrate diversity of thought, background and experience. Through our Inclusion & Diversity Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) events, celebrations , we offer a variety of opportunities for colleagues to connect for the purposes of professional development and networking & mentoring.
How to apply
Are you ready to pursue new challenges and take your career to the next level? Apply today!
Accommodations are available upon request (firstname.lastname@example.org) for candidates with a disability taking part in the recruitment process and once hired.
Note that all individuals employed by Ontario Teachers’ in our Toronto office will be required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. We remain committed to an accessible, inclusive and barrier free workplace; written requests for a human rights-based exemption from vaccination will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Candidates must be legally entitled to work in the country where this role is located.
Functional Area: Operations
Requisition ID: 3914
The privacy of your personal information is important to us. Please visit our Privacy Centre to learn how we handle your personal information.
- Lead the ongoing data governance program and roadmap of governance tools, processes and standards aligned to our data strategy.
- Provide domain expertise related to data governance and lead the associated activities ensuring they are aligned with the business needs and risk profile of OTPP.
- Lead sustainable fit-for-purpose data governance activities and provide guidance to ensure that appropriate data is used throughout reporting and analytics.
- Ensure data governance roles and responsibilities are in place to with clear accountability for ownership and stewardship of critical data assets.
- Mature the organization’s approach to handling the lifecycle of data, including the implementation of applicable data quality capabilities and the retirement of legacy data assets.
- Support the evolution of OTPP enterprise data policies to support the adoption and alignment to processes and procedures.
- Develop appropriate monitoring and compliance activities for policies.
Posted Jan. 10, 2022