Job Description & Requirements:
Vancity’s Impact Investment Portfolio is a $70M impact focused fund of funds looking for a new team member to support our growth. Since 2016, Vancity has been committing capital to Canadian fund managers focused on investing in areas of impact important to our members and community, including the environment, sustainable agriculture and organics, health and wellness, Indigenous entrepreneurs and diversity, amongst others. We have a passion for impact and generating profits with purpose.
As an Impact Investment Manager (24 month contract), you will contribute to the growth of the Impact Investment Portfolio through the sourcing, evaluation and execution of new private equity fund investments. You will take an opportunity from beginning to end, conducting deep due diligence, presenting your written recommendations to investment committees and, working along side our trusted advisors, close the deal, all with an eye to both impact and returns.
You will also play an active role shaping the Impact Investment Portfolio, identifying and reviewing target investment opportunities and generating deal flow by leaning into your network.
A typical day involves:
- Leading the fund investment process from beginning to end by performing detailed due diligence and analysis of prospective transactions, creating, and presenting investment recommendations and negotiating legal agreements, to enable the successful growth of the Impact Investment Portfolio through the generation of both impact and positive financial returns.
- Providing ongoing post investment support through the monitoring and management of relationships with investment stakeholders (external and internal), to accurately calculate, track and report portfolio performance in accordance with Vancity and private equity industry standard accounting and financial discipline practices.
- Developing and building relationships with impact investment stakeholders (internal and external), Vancity members and the impact investing community, enabling the successful growth of the Impact Investment Portfolio, new impact investing mandates and the growth of the impact investing community.
- Supporting the measurement and reporting of the impact generated by the Impact Investment Portfolio in order to quantify and report on the effectiveness of Vancity’s Impact Investing Strategy.
- Providing subject matter expertise through speaking engagements, communications support and/or training, review and management of appropriate sponsorship opportunities and events to build awareness and knowledge of impact investing both inside and outside of the organization and support growth of Vancity’s Impact Investment mandate and community.
- A collaborator with great communication skills: You can build strong relationships and partnerships with stakeholders, team members, members, vendors and peers. Lead discussions, listen and ask the right questions to ensure requirements are met. Express oneself and communicate with others verbally at an advanced level; recognizing that verbal communication is more than just language - it includes tone, style and structure. Through these skills, you'll develop, maintain, and strengthen partnerships with others inside or outside the organization
- Attentive to Detail: You have a great eye for detail and your strong analytical and quantitative skills can provide in-depth, innovative, critical analysis investment funds
- Proactive & Take Initiative: You are able to initiate actions based on one’s own interpretation or understanding of a situation.
- An influencer: You have the ability to gain others’ support for ideas, proposals, projects, and solutions.
- 10+ years meaningful work experience, ideally with the most recent experience being in private equity/venture capital. Supplemented by previous experiences in accounting, management consulting, and/or investment banking
- Strong academic background, with a university degree in Business (MBA, CFA, CBV or CA designation a plus)
- Experience leading an investment process, including conducting detailed due diligence, management of portfolio relationships as well as portfolio monitoring
- Excellent analytical and quantitative skills to perform in-depth, innovative, critical analysis
- A deep understanding of fundamental investment analysis, accounting and valuations
- Excellent attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills with an ability to effectively communicate with senior levels in the organization, our community partners, and members
- An ability to balance priorities, work independently, lead projects, take initiative and thrive in a small high-performance team environment
- A passion for impact and interest in impact measurement and reporting.
In this role, you will report into the Director, Impact Investing.
- When you join Vancity as an employee and a member, you join a movement that believes that when we use money for what’s right, we truly are a financial force for change.
- Our vision is to redefine wealth—and we are doing so by using the tools of finance to prioritize the wellbeing of our members and our communities by tackling the climate crisis and we are proving every day that sustainable is profitable.
- We are the largest private-sector Living Wage Employer in Canada and have been consistently recognized as one of the Top Employers in Canada. Come join our team of 2,600 diverse individuals and access competitive rewards & benefits, all while knowing you are apart of a greater movement.
- Start your Vancity career journey with us even if you’re new to financial services! We provide in-house paid training to gain general financial knowledge, and to learn about our products & services. We encourage opportunities to learn & develop to prepare you for career success, which in turn continuously impresses how we serve our membership.
- Vancity is committed to a diverse workplace and values Integrity, Innovation, Responsibility and Reconciliation. While we review all applicants, we will be prioritizing applicants who self-identify as Indigenous peoples (First Nations, Inuit, and Metis), Members of visible minorities, and Persons with disabilities.
- To learn more about Vancity, please visit vancity.com/AboutVancity.
Posted May 28, 2021