The following data analysis and trends are preliminary and subject to change. Confidential survey submissions were not included in the analysis; final data report figures are expected to have a slight variation in comparison to the preliminary report.
The CVCA is targeting to publish the full analysis of Canadian Q4-2020 private capital markets on March 24, 2021.
Venture Capital Prelim Findings
- 2020 saw the second-highest level of annual VC investment based on our existing records, with $4.5B across 510 deals, and is second only to 2019 — an outlier year marked by megadeals and $6.2B total investments.
- In Q42020 Canadian VCs invested just under $1B across 126 deals, including 4 mega deals ($50M+), which is a 35% decrease compared to $1.5B in Q4 — 2019 while exceeding the 5‑year average of $876M (from 2014 – 2019).
- There were 11 VC-backed exits in Q4 — 2020, with BC-based Abcellera being the largest exit, listing on the NASDAQ with a market cap of $6.7B, making it also the largest deal of the year.
Private Equity Prelim Findings
- 2020 had the third-lowest level of annual PE investment based on our existing records, with $14B invested across 635 deals, surpassing the lowest year on record in 2013 ($11.3B over 270 deals) and 2016 ($13.8B over 541 deals).
- A total of $2.2B was invested across 195 PE deals in Q4 ‑2020, which was an 82% decline compared to the same period in 2019 ($12B)
- There were 6 mega deals ($500M+) in 2020, representing half of all total PE dollars invested.
- 25 PE-backed exits took place in Q4 ‑2020, the largest was Alberta-based Topaz Energy Corp, listing on the TSX with a market cap of $1.4B. The largest deal for the year was GFL Environmental, listing on the TSX in February with a market cap of $7.7B.
For questions or to arrange an interview or quote from the CVCA or if you would like connections to our membership, contact us: